Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"


While many can pinpoint where they picked up their love for cooking and food or share stories of how central food was in their life while growing up, my story is more unclear. While my mother is one of the most important people in my life who I love to death, and I am so appreciative for her, she did not fulfill my romanticized image of the mother figure in which I imagine this woman to be preparing beautifully balanced and presented meals for the family, entertaining guests with lavish or simple refreshments and baking to fill the cookie jars and dessert platters fresh daily.
As a family, we rarely sat down for family meals during the week, blamed on all of our busy schedules and that my father often commuted long distance for work only to return too late for dinner. As I've grown, I realize the impact this may have had on me in terms of my relationship with food. When I visit home, I make sure to prepare as many meals as I can for my family. Although the family is not quite as in tact these days, my youngest sister, who will always be my baby, gives me the opportunity to be the mother I envision and hope to one day be. I make her banana or chocolate chip pancakes in the morning sprinkled with confectioner sugar and served with a side of fruit and maple syrup, pack a well-balanced lunch with all the food groups and a special treat since she is a sugar addict and then prepare her dinner according to her mood. She loves grilled cheese, again, a simple dish that can be so comforting and made with love, and add a side of greek salad and fruit or frozen yogurt drizzled with chocolate. Her contribution to the meals is getting herself water. . .

I believe my nurturing qualities come from what I may have missed in my childhood since I've gotten over my denial and come to terms with the fact that I am emotionally needy and perhaps more so than my own mother ever was. With this, I find happiness in loving, giving and feeding others to nurture their soul.

With all this being said, I may owe my love of baking and feeding others to my nana who is the typical Jewish grandmother, always pushing food and always having candy on hand to give to the grandchildren when they visit. I have such wonderful memories of food associated with my nana. My birthday was always the most special occasion in which her and Lou (whom I've considered my papa for as long as I can remember) would take me out to the nicest restaurants, and we would sit for hours to have a few course dinner. I had trouble saying "no, I'm not hungry" because they wouldn't listen anyways. I was forced to keep eating until one time when I got home so physically sick. From then on, they backed off a little, but continue to radiate their love of food to everyone around.
One of my favorite recipes that my nana so generously has shared with me is for lemon bars. In the culinary sphere, there are infinite recipes for variations of lemon bars, but these ones are particularly special and always receive rave reviews from friends and coworkers. Due to their simplicity, perfect balance of the buttery shortbread crust and not-too-tangy, not-too-sweet lemon filling, this is a staple in my recipe box that is always a good entertaining option for dessert.

Nana's Lemon Squares


2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter
4 eggs
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Sift flour and powdered sugar together.
Add the butter and spread in a 9"X13" pyrex. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Beat eggs, and add the lemon juice and sugar.
Mix in flour and baking poder.
Spread over baked crust and put back in the oven until firm for about 20 minutes.
When cool, dust with confectioner sugar and cut in squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment