Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - Dalai Lama

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
~Unknown source
The effects of karma are inevitable. Although many may fear these effects, it is more simply about the consequences of our actions that eventually leads to our destiny. Even if karma does not exist, if each person concentrated on and executed positive, rather than negative actions, acknowledging that everyone and everything coexists and is connected to the greater concept of life and existence, the world would be a much better place.

In his book, Path to Bliss, the Dalai Lama eloquently explains the greatly misundertood concept of karma: "Some people. . . take the Buddha's doctrine of the law of causality to mean that all is predetermined, that there is nothing that the individual can do. This is a total misunderstanding. The very term karma or action is a term of active force, which indicates that future events are within your own hands. Since action is a phenomenon that is committed by a person, a living being, it is within your own hands whether or not you engage in action."

The first step is to focus on ourselves, positive thoughts, and then live each day as an attempt to be the best person we can be with the awareness that we are not in this world alone. I try and volunteer often, not because I'm consciously thinking about karma, and selfishly hoping good will come back to me as a direct cause of volunteering, but I've come to believe there is a greater purpose for life through the questioning of the meaning of life. What would be the point if we just lived each day robotically only to fulfill our personal indulgences and desires and accumulate superficial wealth? It just doesn't make sense to me. All that only to die and then what? I need to believe there is more purpose and that all the challenges and obstacles we face are for a reason. I hope to impact lives in a positive way and participate in creating positive change so that I leave the world a better place for those following. After all, I may just be back to do it all again, or as they preach in Judaism, the after-life will be that much better. . .


After all that "preaching," I really aimed to devote this blog to my experience at the Food Network New York Food and Wine Event that I attended this past weekend. I signed up to volunteer through work in collaboration with the NY Food Bank and Share Our Strength in hopes of being able to at least see the Grand Tasting event showcasing New York's best restaurants and world-renowned wine and spirit makers. I figured, if work can't give tickets to this, I would at least take advantage of the opportunity to help out and work at it. I was posted to help hand out wine glasses to those arriving. One couple entered and asked for an extra wine glass since his brother couldn't make it. "Most certainly!" I replied, happily giving out another glass with my white-gloved hand. He was so thankful and added that he had an extra ticket. When I asked what he's going to do with the $250 valued ticket, he offered it up. Feeling some guilt, I accepted and thought about who I could call up that would appreciate such an opportunity and run over. I continued to hand out glasses to incoming guests until I was pressured from coworkers who wondered why in the world I was still working. Shortly thereafter, I took of my volunteer shirt and entered the tents that spanned across the entire length of Pier 54. It was more massive than I could have imagined and had a wonderfully fun and indulgent time. . .

After 10 minutes of taking a quick lap to scope out all the options and come down from the shock of all the action and masses, I found 3 other co-worker volunteers already with food in hand and wine stained lips. We spent the next 3 hours (until we were literally forced out) sampling food from some of my favorite city restaurants, some that were on my list of places to try, and others that were new to me but are newly added to my list. In addition to food, my wine glass was always full from various makers and types. I mostly stayed with red wines since it was kind of chilly out and was just in that mood with the exception of one memorable Wispering Angel rose from Chateau d'Esclans. The name fits perfectly with its subtle, sweet, light, fruity and crisp notes. The frenchman himself was very charming and paired with a Spaniard from the north of Spain that had an excellent Rioja. We returned to this duo as our last and final stop to fill up the glass and relax as we took in the whole experience and now needed to digest everything.

While the wines and spirits were intoxicating, the food took me on a delicious culinary journey. First off, not only did I get to meet Patrick Neely, Ellie Krieger, Top Chef's Fabio, Iron Chef Chairman Kaga and contestants Dominique Crenn and Brad Farmerie, I got to try some of their creations. The Iron Chef mini cook-off at the event used cheddar cheese as the main ingredient. Chef Brad created an apple, cinnamon and cheddar crumble with a miso cheddar ice cream that was intriguing to the pallet and tasted like a slightly under-cooked apple pie with creamy ice cream in which you could just barely make out the white cheddar laced throughout it. Chef Dominique made a celery root "cappuccino, " cheddar cheese bacon espuma and cheddar cheese biscuit. She made a special one for me with out the espuma that I admit greatly altered the dish and makes it unfair to judge since I missed a huge part of incorporation of the main ingredient. But, the celery root "cappuccino" was very tasty and like a warm, comforting soup, and with the cheddar cheese biscuit was a perfect pair. However, I am still amazed by the cheddar cheese dessert by Brad.

I can confidently pick out a few favorites, but the best sampling experience would have to be the chocolate pumpkin and almond tortellini with mostarda butter by Chef Albert DiMeglio, representing the French restaurant in Gramercy, Olana. He had to clearly write that this was "not dessert!" .. . "it's pasta" . . ."savory." It was like nothing I have ever tasted, so smooth and creamy, the pumpkin filling that oozed out of the tortellini pasta that had a hint of cocoa. The mostarda butter is something new to me, but added a little oily texture and topped with shaved parmasean cheese rounded out the dish of deliciousness. I was so impressed and can't wait to try out this restaurant.
Other notable impressions were (Pescatarian Bias):
Haru: Alex Aratake - tuna tartare with a dallop of guacamole on a home-made tortilla chip
One if by land, Two if by sea: Sam Freund - pampano with crab, orange and smoked corn puree
Allegretti: (beautiful Italian Chef) Alain Allegretti - stuffed calamari
Suenos: Sue Torres - tequila salmon tartare on plantain chip

Tequila-Flamed Shrimp Tostadas
Recipe by Sue Torres

1 Hass avocado, mashed
1/4 cup finely diced fresh pineapple
1/2 cup drained canned black beans
2 scallions, finely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 pound medium shrimp— shelled, deveined and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons silver tequila
1/2 canned chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed
24 large round tortilla chips (or make your own)

Directions
In a bowl, mash the avocado, pineapple, beans, scallions and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a large skillet until very hot. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add to the skillet along with the garlic and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until the shrimp are almost cooked through, about 2 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat and add the tequila. Tilt the pan slightly over the burner to ignite the tequila and cook until the flames subside. (Alternatively, remove the pan from the heat and ignite with a match, then return to the heat.) Stir in the chipotle, butter and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice, swirling until the butter is melted and the liquid is slightly reduced, about 2 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the avocado mixture onto the tortilla chips and top with the shrimp.
Drizzle some of the tequila sauce on top and serve right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment