Friday, February 12, 2010

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present.” B. Olatunji

Cuba
Who would have guessed that "snow days" as an "adult" would be just as fun? Okay, well, maybe doing taxes and laundry on this day isn't in the exact definition of "fun," but I will say that a day the office closes due to a blizzard is an opportunity to be seized and appreciated. I got up at my usual time so I could take advantage of the whole day. It didn't look so bad out from my fifth story window, measuring the few inches of snow on the decks of the apartments below me. I was motivated to hit the gym, which I always prefer to do and get over with in the morning. As I crossed the street, I was smacked by attacking snowflakes being shoved in to my face by the gusts of wind. After this experience during my short trek to the gym along with walking through mounds of slush, I agreed it would be best to stay home the remainder of the day instead of the fleeting idea I had to go hang out in Central Park, which probably would be miserable with lack of a snow suit. This snow day, I would devote myself to cooking, taxes, laundry and movies. After I finished my "work" of taxes, I made a pot of green tea with lemon grass and honey and laid in bed watching the beauty of winter. The massive snowflakes were falling harder and faster and made for a New York wonderland moment. After wandering off to la la land in my mind, I had the urge to prepare something warm and comforting to eat that didn't necessarily have to be quick, since I did have the whole day ahead of me.

I'm still on my soup kick, and the weather made for the perfect occasion for soup. I used to be afraid that soups were too complicated and time consuming, but I've now grown to enjoy the methodical process of chopping, simmering, and pureeing to create your own personal masterpiece. While I know I said my next soup was going to be the green soup with ginger, I was in a mood for split pea soup and had picked up dry split green peas at the store the day before. It was simple and delicious, using few ingredients that are usually on hand. In a large pot over medium-high heat, I stirred 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 large chopped onions with some salt until softened. After adding two cups of the dry split peas and about 5 cups of water, I turned the heat down to let it all simmer. About 30 minutes later, I blended half of the mixture into a puree that was then added back to the pot so there was a hearty consistency, not too soupy and not too chunky. It had great texture. I then added some diced carrots, fresh dill, salt, pepper to taste, and lemon juice and let it all simmer once again together as the carrots softened and the flavors fused. Vegetarian split pea soup with dense whole wheat bread is the perfect meal to go along with watching movies in bed during a snow storm.
Okay, so maybe snow days aren't the same as in childhood when you were extatic not to have to schlep yourself to the bus for school in the morning and instead bundled up in puffy snow suits, boots, hats, gloves (the whole kit and caboodle) to set off on the adventure in wonderland, sledding and making snow angels. . . But, they are much appreciated as "adults."

No comments:

Post a Comment