Monday, February 1, 2010

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." Henry David Thoreau

With days like today in New York City, I can't remember why I decided to move away from the sunny beaches of Costa Rica. It's so brutally cold and windy that it takes way too much effort to get myself out from the rapture of my heated bedroom where I am cocooned in pillows, blankets, and the weight of my down comforter. The sun shining through is deceiving because the second I step outside, I'm hit by the bitterness of winter and want to crawl right back in to my cave. But, then it hits me why I sacrafice surfer's paradise for the bustling city life. It's the greatest place for self-exploration as a twenty-something, people to constantly be meeting and places to constantly be seeing. And, as a soup lover, there's no better time to try out all those recipes than on a snowy winter evening. This wouldn't be as appealing in the ninety-degree heat of CR (Hey, have to make lemonade out of lemons, right?!). While I love throwing spontaneous dinner parties for others, the cooking experience is enhanced when shared with another. Sometimes there is clashing in the kitchen though, especially with two stubborn people or a duo with completely different cooking styles, but it's usually a fun time sharing responsibilities and more efficient. Plus, if you're one who doesn't like to grate garlic or chop onions, it could be passed on to the other half. I'm going to try and make cooking with a partner a weekly happening because it really just feels good and is often nicer, healthier and cheaper than going to a restaurant. You can stay in the warmth of your own home and know exactly what ingredients are being used and that they will be fresh, which is key to deliciousness and having a satisfying, feel-good meal. Plus, it's an accomplishment, creating something from start to finish and being able to enjoy it with all your senses. It's also best to cook with someone that has similar taste and appreciation for food. I like cooking with my vegetarian friend, whipping up clean and comforting foods. We've made a mediterranean meal with grilled eggplant, herbed couscous and taboule, whole wheat pizzas with fresh tomatoes and basil and last week a lentil soup with home-made skillet croutons and mashed "cauliflower potatoes." With a glass of rich red wine, the evening was complete.

When I walked in to my friend's upper west side apartment with my contribution of fresh dill and whole wheat rolls, the aroma of garlic, onion and olive oil was already seeping in to the hallway and down the stairs. Lentil soup was the perfect idea for this freezing night. As soon as I stepped foot in the apartment, welcomed by Duke the cat,I thawed out. The onion and olive oil were already simmering in a large pot with chopped carrots and celery. As the onions clarified and carrots softened, diced tomatoes, water and dry, rinsed, lentils were added. We sprinkled in some corriander, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and fresh dill to bring warm flavors together in to the soup. As all this was taking its time to interlace flavors, the cauliflower was just about done boiling and ready to be put in the food processor with garlic, salt and some sour cream. I much prefer this lighter version to mashed potatoes. I mixed the diced bread with olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh grated garlic and some parsley, firing it in a skillet at the last moments before serving. We decided to leave the soup un-pureed, garnished with fresh dill and the toasted croutons. I like chunkier soups as it feels heartier and I can make each bite different and appreciate the individuality of the complexity more.


I'm actually looking forward to winter lasting a bit longer (6 more weeks according to the groundhog) so I can try out some more soup recipes. The next one I'd like to try, I found on one of my favorite food blogs: 101 cookbooks. She adapted the recipe from Love Soup by Anna Thomas.


Green Soup with Ginger Recipe

1 large yellow onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
1 large sweet potato
1 large leek, white and light green parts
1 bunch spinach
1 large bunch green chard
3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger, plus more to taste
2 cups good-tasting vegetable broth
2-4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper

Chop the onion and cook it slowly in the olive oil with a sprinkle of salt, stirring now and then, over low heat until it is soft and golden, about half an hour.
Meanwhile, peel and dice the sweet potato and put it in a large soup pot with 4 cups (1 liter) water and a teaspoon of sea salt. Thoroughly wash the leek, spinach, and chard, chop them coarsely, and add them to the pot, along with the chopped ginger.
Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer the soup, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are completely tender. Add the caramelized onions when they are ready. When the vegetables are soft, add the vegetable broth (you can add less if you like a thicker soup) and decide whether you want your soup chunky, like this, or smooth. If the latter, puree the soup in a blender, in batches, or with an immersion blender until it is smooth.
Stir in 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice and a few grinds of black pepper. Taste, and correct the seasoning with additional salt or lemon juice.
Serves 5-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment