Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"If I am not for myself, who will be? And if I am for myself alone, then what am I? And if not now, when?"- Rabbi Hillel, Pirke Avot 1:14

Food is like music. While it may not express itself through words, the process, the smells, the flavors and presentation triggers memories and brings you back to meaningful times. The experience around food can be just as powerful as listening to that song that immediately strikes a chord with your nostalgia-perhaps for childhood or a relationship. As my friend and I wandered around Mario Batali’s new Italian “market,” Eataly, we felt like little kids in awe of the mass varieties of dried pastas, olive oils, raviolis, beer, etc. Perhaps this romance was a result of the delicious bottle of wine we shared, but as if she was having a romantic affair, my friend asked: “What is it about food that I love so much?!” On the surface, it could just be that food tastes good, but I feel that food cannot be defined by its taste only. There’s much more complexity and a whole experience surrounding the ingredient or meal that makes us the “food lovers” we are. Then, it may be important to look at the personal characteristics of the “food lover” (replaced Foodie). It would be interesting to look at people who consider themselves food lovers and see if there are common traits. I would guess most would define themselves as explorers, nurturers, balanced with creativity and analytics, values relationships and socializing. Maybe I analyze things too much and am too emotional, but I cannot think or talk about food without including these components. There’s always a history and story to be told. . .

It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


It’s the tranquility, fluidity and vastness of water that makes me feel like I can breathe in life and peacefulness. I often seek refuge by the rivers that outline the Big Apple city that can feel suffocating and so fast-paced that you don’t have time to just breathe. Connecting with nature, especially water gives me an appreciation for the greatness in life and reminds me to live in the present moment and beauty. For nearly two years, I was fortunate enough to wake up to the waves crashing, with the beach and ocean as my backyard. These times represented a special beginning to freedom, appreciation and growth. These associations are connected with memories of life on the beach near warm, blue water. The smells of fish immediately bring a reminiscent smile to my face: images of men riding their bikes by the edge of the water with the fish they just caught in the river flailing along side of them; sailing and fishing during sunset on the Pacific Ocean; summers with my family Up North in Michigan, all of us together in the woods and going out on the lake for boat rides.





All these happy moments came flooding back last week when a co-worker brought me clams he dug up over Labor Day in front of his house in East Hampton. I unzipped the bright yellow lunchbox, and my eyes lit up as the fresh, white-grayish shells were exposed sitting on an ice pack. I was excited for the challenge of preparing something I had never done before. On my way home from work, I picked up a shallot, a crusty baguette and a bottle of sauvignon blanc. The rest, I already had at home. In less than 20 minutes, I prepared a delicious meal full of warmth and longing for the beach... but also reminding me to appreciate the beauty in life and moments I’m living here and now.

Clams in a light white wine sauce

Clams
Olive Oil or Butter
Dry White Wine (sauvignon blanc)
Garlic
Shallots
Parsley
Lemon
Baguette (for dipping)


In a pot, sauté chopped garlic and shallots in olive oil or butter until fragrant, not burned. Add the white wine and bring to a simmer. Add the clams to the pot of simmering wine sauce and boil with the top on until all the clams open. (It’s fun to hear the clams open up!) Remove the top, throw in chopped parsley, give it a stir and let simmer a little longer. Spoon the clams in to a glass bowl, pour the white wine and garnish with more parsley and a lemon wedge. Serve with crusty bread to soak up the deliciousness left at the bottom of the bowl. Drink with the remaining bottle of wine.

Note: I didn’t need to add any salt, and it had the perfect amount of salty flavor. I swear, the clams had some salt water inside their shells (arguable according to another coworker).

No comments:

Post a Comment