Thursday, May 27, 2010

To laugh often and love much... to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to give one's self... this is to have succeeded-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’ve never been the type of girl who has dreamt of my wedding and planned the flowing dress, flower bouquets, musical arrangements, groom, blinging ring etc. It’s been in my thoughts more now that I’m receiving wedding invitations and the engagement call from my best friend. Coworkers planning and discussing their every detail surround me on a daily basis. It seems so far from the point I’m at in my life as a single, new to the big city girl. I can’t even consider the thought of putting in effort to planning a wedding when I’m discontent with my job and relationships in general. I admire those that have dreams and actively pursue them, but my life has thrown so many curve balls at me that my dreams are constantly morphing just as my being is..
My favorite things in life that have been constant passions and values to me are my close friends and family, travelling, spirituality and food. I have a blurry image of a destination wedding with only the people that truly know me and have been supportive and demonstrated love and caring throughout my life, surrounded by beautiful nature and fresh, elegant food. Simplicity and natural beauty. . .

It’s amazing to me that you can find someone you want to spend the rest of your life with and have mutual unconditional love outside of your family. Through about eight years of “dating,” this honestly seems nearly impossible. As a hopeless romantic, I’m not expecting my prince charming to ride by on a white horse and sweep me off my feet necessarily, but I do have faith that someone is out there that I will fall madly in love with and we won’t be able to live without each other. Despite my parents divorcing after 30 years of marriage, that may have been a sham for the majority, and 4 children later, I don’t think true, forever-lasting love is impossible. But, there will be no settling because I know what I can definitely NOT live with thanks to my parents, and all my serial dating and quasi-relationships.
The other week, I attended the first of my few weddings for this year. A coworker/friend got married to a guy from one of the online dating websites and whom I had the opportunity to get to know as well. I was so excited and honored to be able celebrate their wedding as a stepping stone in to their new life together as a married couple. It was such a beautiful experience. Granted, I’ve always loved weddings even those where I don’t know either of the people getting married. It’s always nice when you can celebrate such a happy occasion that most describe as the “happiest day” of their life. I saw this at Christina’s wedding. It was an intimate wedding ceremony followed by reception in a warehouse (on the outside) but a lovely, warm vintage feel on the inside. It was a non-denominational ceremony with a beautiful, Australian-accented woman speaking about Bryan and Christina with a backdrop of a huge stone Buddha and candles, a bookcase stacked with old books, exposed brick walls and French windows to allow the natural sunlight to soak the room. The bride and groom were both glowing and radiating euphoric happiness as they walked down the aisle and back as officially married. Christina looked stunning in her princess cut beaded wedding dress with a flowing train that wrapped perfectly as they made their vows.

The part we were all most excited for was the food after salivating as Christina described the options and menu at work. The menu reflected the “wasian” wedding with Christina and Bryan’s flare. It was a meeting of cultures with smosas, tofu, dumplings, noodles, dirty rice, sea bass and my vegetarian dish – a tofu cauliflower curry. It was all so delicious. For dessert, the most memorable was the mochi ice cream and cupcakes by Baked by Melissa http://www.bakedbymelissa.com/ that are the size of a quarter. They were adorable and the perfect size so you could try the variety of unique flavors and not feel guilty that you just ate 6 cupcakes. There was peanut butter and jelly, red velvet, mint chocolate chip, chocolate chip cookie dough, tie dye, s ‘mores, and maybe others that I can’t remember.

I can’t imagine how the bride must have felt the next day, but I was sad when the wedding festivities were over. It was a very romantic, fairy-tale feeling of a wedding ceremony and party. Everything about it breathed simple love, peace and joy. I'm looking forward to the next one in 2 months!!

From Robin Thicke's "Dreamworld" (Wedding Song): Words would fly right from out of my mind, out of my mind into your heart, into your lifeAnd everything would sound just right, and no one would stop me from drinking my wine
Cauliflower Curry
Heat over medium heat in a large, heavy pot with lid:
2 Tbs. oil
When hot add:
1.5 tsp. dark mustard seeds
When the mustard seeds starts to pop (it should be just a few seconds), take the pan off the heat and stir in:
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. coriander, ground
1/2 tsp. cumin, ground
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. curry powder
Add, and stir until coated:
3/4 cup diced, red potato (1/3 inch cubes) [about 1 medium red potato]
Meanwhile prepare the cauliflower and add to the pan:
1/2 head medium cauliflower (about 1.25? lbs after removing leaves and core), sliced
1/4 cup water
Stir to mix, then cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, adding more water if needed. Add and cook for 1 minute:
1 cup frozen peas
Shake on:
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
a shake or two of crushed red pepper
1.5 Tbs. lemon juice
Stir in:
1 Tbs. tomato sauce or 1/2 cup diced canned tomatoes
14-16 ounces firm tofu, pressed, cut into 1" cubes, and pan-crisped
See Technique Below for tofu:
PRESSING TOFU: Halve the tofu horizontally. Set the 2 slabs side by side on a double layer of paper towels. Cover them with more towels.
Set a heavy skillet or small acrylic cutting board on top of the tofu. Add canned tomatoes or other weights and let the tofu sit for 20 minutes.
Cube or slice the pressed tofu.
Pressed tofu keeps, covered in cold water in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.
PAN-CRISPING TOFU: Coat a heavy, large skillet with cooking spray.
Add cubed pressed tofu in 1 layer.
Cook, turning the cubes with tongs, until golden and crisp on 4 sides, 2 minutes per side.

No comments:

Post a Comment