Monday, November 30, 2009

"Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine." Ralph Waldo Emerson







I'm not sure when or if the itch to travel and explore will ever end. . .and I'm not sure it's so good if it does. Traveling outside of the normal routine is invigorating and refreshing. Sometimes, we get so caught up in our bubble and begin to believe our problems are all there is to focus on. Especially when you are not challenged at work (which becomes most of your life), days seem mundane and lack inspiration. Traveling reminds me of the answer to the meaning of life. Travel challenges one to reflect, to be aware of the opportunities and possibilities that exist and appreciate the beauty within people and nature. Not all travels expose us to such positive situations, but even those ugly and sad situations show that there is so much greater than our own being and so many ways in which one could work to be more connected to the universe.

Having moved from Costa Rica to New York City, I went from one extreme to the other, from a Pura Vidalife to a rat's race. It was a shock to my system and way of being as I moved in with my sister with only one suitcase in hand and no plan other than to figure out a plan. After living in NYC over a year, I was ready for a true vacation where I could just lay on the beach and be surrounded by nature and good food and culture.

While I have a running list of places I want to visit for future travels, when I decided to go to Greece this past summer, it was more spontaneous as I happened to come across a good deal that included island hopping from Athens to Mykonos to Paros and Santorini. Not knowing much of anything about Greece other than the Americanized version of their food, I had little expectations and was more than pleasantly surprised by how wonderful a place and culinary dream it was. Our first meal in Athens was incredible and based on a recommendation from a girl working at Starbucks (yep, we found it!). Outdoors, on the sidewalk of a busy street, we were greeted with a basket of soft and crusty bread, fresh pressed olive oil, just picked olives and two shots of ouzo (that I admittingly couldn't finish). It wasn't just because we had a long day of travelling and then sight-seeing in the city that we devoured our greek salad, tomato pancakes (Tomatokeftedes) and saganaki with eggplant. The food was spectacular, fresh and satisfying and a taste of deliciousness that was to come.

Sitting on the roof of a restaurant upon a hilly stone and white-washed street in Santorini watching the sunset paint the sky over a vast body of water led me to melt into the couch and breath in the moment. . . a moment of serenity and peace.

Our last meal was most memorable and a bitter sweet way to end the trip. The experience was a constellation of moments we never wanted to end. With a bottle of crisp white local Santorini wine, oversized rolls, and dishes of tomato bruschetta and thick greek yogurt topped with eggplant salad and surrounded by natural beauty that words can not describe, the elements of the universe seemed to come together in perfect harmony. And, when it all conspires and works together, you are forced to be in and appreciate the moment and opportunity you were given to be able to experience something so incredible.

Greek food is one of my favorites, and I have yet to venture to Astoria to try the "authentic" restaurants (add that to my list), but I did have a wonderful meal at Pylos in the lower east side. Although it was definitely more of a posh, New York-Greek restaurant, the food and service was great and reminded me of the wonderful time spent in Greece. Arriving almost an hour earlier than my other half, I sat at a communal table/bar area that was for non-reservations and sipped on a glass of Santorini wine, observing the couples all around me and jotting down notes on reflections of my life and goals. There's something about the Greek ambience that urges me to self-reflect. I was just finishing my thoughts and observations when my dad arrived to share a delicious meal of greek salad, pita with hummus, beet salad and greek giant baked beans in a honey-scented tomato-dill sauce.


A couple months ago, I decided to get over my fear of cooking with eggplant. It can be so much easier than most recipes make it out to be and has an inherently delicious taste when baked/broiled. Below is a quick and easy, but tasty dish that can be modified based on likings but has become a comfort food of mine:

Eggplant Steaks with a couscous mediterranean salad:

Cut eggplant in about 4 slices length-wise and brush both sides with marinade of balsamic, soy sauce, garlic, olive oil, rosemary and pepper.
Broil for about 4 minutes on each side.

For the couscous mediterranean salad, prepare whole wheat couscous as directed.
Mix cherry tomatoes with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme. Roast tomatoes for about 30 minutes or until they begin to pop open.

Combine tomatoes with the couscous and add garbanzo beans, chopped olives and capers and feta.

Serving suggestions:
Plate eggplant and top with homemade hummus and sauteed spinach (w/garlic and olive oil) and serve with side of couscous mediterranean salad.
Serve eggplant steaks with couscous mediterranean salad and side of toasted pita points.

No comments:

Post a Comment